Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

At long last, progress!

Wombat in Garden

Cat in Garden

My diptych for Lauren has another stage sorted out. I had a huge problem with the background, tried a lot of different colors over it to knock down the bright blue and finally realized I was wasting my time -- I should have gone directly to the deep dark green next. Then I can build up on that with lighter greens, browns, yellows and some of the blue will still shine through making it a good evergreen color.

Sometimes a mental block can be that simple. This has freed me up to work on it again, though I may have to switch to some softer pastels since the tooth is getting pretty full. Currently that's all done in Mont Marte pastels on Colourfix paper.

It also didn't hurt this that I got in some studies of real tulips to have a better idea of the color of the leaves -- this isn't it, I'll need to get back to it again when it's light out and work with that some more.
Explore-Oil-Pastels-With-Robert-Sloan.com Articles at eHow.com, ETSY shop, My Bonanzle Booth, deviantART gallery, SFFmuse and look for art by robertsloan2art on eBay. Listed on Art Blogs 4 U
Proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Interesting art blog: Patrick's Art Blog focused on realism!
New Topical Blog: www.robs-art-supply-reviews.blogspot.com for all the cool art stuff that isn't oil pastels!


( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
Mar. 4th, 2010 03:06 am (UTC)
This is shaping up really well! I am very impressed.
Mar. 4th, 2010 06:25 am (UTC)
I am so glad! Tomorrow I'll be getting into it again and see how much farther I can take it. There are a lot of things I learned to help me get to this point. One of them was reading Carlson's Landscape Guide to understand just how dark that vertical hedge would get. Another was practicing everything from Charlotte Herczfeld's class on other landscapes, a third was more practice making up scenes instead of relying on references.

The only things in this diptych from references are the two animals, and I'm about to abandon the references anyway. I've done enough cats that I can do the cat better without, and I've studied every other wombat photo or painting I've seen since with an eye to getting this little fellow just right. I have enough down already for his pose and volume, so getting the fur texture and his eye is going to be relatively easy -- he's the most finished part of the painting.

I might switch to other pastels though, since the tooth is starting to fill up. I haven't really used those pastels on anything else yet, but I am sure I will once I finish. :D
Mar. 4th, 2010 06:26 am (UTC)
The basic colors and values are now completely established, I'm happy with the balance and composition. The tulip leaves will become more natural and less neon-green, more of a golden-green like natural foliage. I had live tulips only a couple of weeks ago and did a good study so I'll have better color and shape on them.

Let's see where it goes!
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )


2013 Nano Winner
Robert A. Sloan, author of Raven Dance

Latest Month

December 2017


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Teresa Jones